Saturday, January 3, 2009

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow...

There are times in Utah when I forget that I am not in the East Coast. If it's a humid (like 30% humidity) day and I go to a park by a river and I'm by some bigger trees, I almost feel home again. Almost. Most of the time, though, even after four years, I'm very aware that I live in a desert and parts of the culture are still very foreign to me. Then there are times when Utah likes to remind me of the...um....joys? of living in Utah. Like the Friday before Christmas, when I was sent home from work early because it was snowing so hard. When I arrived home, it looked like this at our condo:
Or the day of Christmas, when we were at my in-laws house and suddenly realized it was snowing. Cori and Jeff (Greg's brother and his wife who is practically my twin-at least in personality) were staying at our house that night so we all hurried and left so we could get home safely. Kim (Greg's sister) came along as well at the last minute and a normally 20 minute drive took us about 40 minutes. It continued to snow all night and all the next day. On the evening of the 26th, it looked like this:
This picture was taken from the bottom stair of my stairwell. Yep, still snowing. Can you see where the sidewalk is? Where it ends? Where you are supposed to drive? Nope, me neither. Then we got hit again last night, but I'm too cold to go take a picture. Each storm dropped 4-8 inches, which started to melt just in time for the next storm. This would never happen in Maryland! Don't get me wrong, I love the look of freshly fallen snow, but enough already!
On the upside, apparently the ton of fresh snow is increasing sales at the ski resorts which puts Utah in a good position to recover from our economic recession ahead of other states. And we won't be in a drought again.

No comments: