Sunday, June 21, 2009

Another Surprise

No, I'm not pregnant. But remember how I said, just a few days ago, that I wondered what other strange things June had in store for me? Well, Friday after work I came home and started talking to Greg. After a while, I went into our bedroom for a minute and when I came out, Greg asked me to open the extra bedroom door because "it was too dark in the hallway." I thought he was acting very strange but opened the door to placate him. As I started to walk away, something caught my eye. I went into the bedroom and there was a styrofoam box with a door cut out and a blanket, a food and water dish (with food and water in the dishes), and a cardboard box I hadn't seen before, with a bag of food inside it. I looked at Greg and he just smiled at me. I looked at the food closer and realized it looked like cat food. I asked him if it was and he said yes. At this point I became quite confused because 1) I couldn't understand why these things were in my back room when there was no cat in sight, 2) Greg does NOT like cats. At all. In fact, I was pretty sure the only thing that would ever get him to agree to getting a cat would be our kids begging for most of their childhood. So I asked him what was going on and he said "It looks like it's a game of hide and seek." Huh? So I carefully lift up the blanket in the styrofoam box, nothing there. I look behind one curtain and don't see anything, so I lift it up and out jumps this:

Yep, he got me a kitten!! Our friend, Stephanie, has a brother whose cat had kittens and asked if we wanted one. I wanted one but Greg said no, as expected. But here he is. I stood there in shock for a minute and then tried to hold him. Except he was TERRIFIED of anyone, anything, any noise, any movement. He just crouched in the corner and was shaking. He finally hid behind the toilet and we put a towel back there and let him stay there until he was ready to come out. I named him Rajah (RAW-juh). Like the tiger in Aladdin. Greg spent all day with him on Saturday because I was visiting a friend, and he got him to come out and play a little. Today, he was even more friendly. He played and wants to be pet but still hides occassionally. Greg built this for him:

He likes it, but has trouble climbing the styrofoam.

Two other pictures of him playing.

Isn't he cute? Greg and I are working on training him not to chew any cords, scratch the furniture, or be so scared of loud noises. I feel bad leaving him alone in our condo all day (barricaded, of course) but I don't trust him over the whole condo yet and he's way too little to be outside all day. Now, the only problem is that Greg might be allergic to him. I really hope it's a cold and not allergies!!

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ethan wants you to know he loves cats and wants to come see her in person.

She's so cute!

Anonymous said...

You got some cute pictures of her! I am impressed. I love the cat house and Greg better NOT be allergic because Cassia has to stick around at least long enough for him to admit he is attached! :)

Erin G. said...

She's adorable! Who couldn't love her? I reallllly hope it's a cold.

Jeff/Cori said...

i am WAY allergic to your cat..but she is still adorable!

Kimberly said...

Ummm...seriously...nobody noticed he was a boy? No wonder he was feeling so insecure.

pfb360 said...

That is one cute kitty.