Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Getting Ready and More Baby Shower Fun

When we realized I was already dilating, I went into a minor panic over making sure we were ready. The showers definitely helped ease my anxiety, as did each doctor appointment in which nothing had changed. But that didn't stop me from making three lists. One of things I needed to find before the baby came (like a pediatrician), one for things we needed to buy (like a crib mattress) and one for things we needed to do (like pre-register at the hospital). There were thingns on each list that were top priority (like the pediatrician) and others that were lower priority (like me getting a hair cut). I am happy to say that we have now accomplished all of the essential items and most of the non-essential items, which unfortunately just makes us very anxious for her to finally arrive.

One of the non-essential-but-definitely-wanted-done items was building Rajah a new cat house. There were three major problems with our original one. 1) It was too small for an adult cat, 2) it took up too much floor space and 3) it was not a safe spot from little kids. Rajah understands that little kids are not adults and does not hiss, bite, scratch, or bother them. However, loud little kids do not generally understand why the cute, furry kitty is scared of them when they come over. We saw one we liked in Petsmart (for a mere $160), took the measurements and design, and then came home and built it (for about $40). It's 5 1/2 feet tall and takes up half the floor space as before. He loves it more than we expected and now sleeps on the middle shelf quite regularly, which is great because that means less fur on the couch. Sorry to my nieces and nephews who are coming to visit at the end of June and will want to play with the kitty. If you're quiet and gentle, he'll let you pet him. If you're loud and excited, he'll run terrified.

We've also finished assembling, buying, and organizing everything for the nursery except the crib bedding. Buying crib bedding was an experience I will not willingly relive anytime soon as I have very specific tastes and did not want a lot of pink. We finally found something we liked enough (still didn't love it) and it should arrive in a couple days. After we get it, I will post pictures of the finished nursery. After Greg's family's baby shower, I also had one for work, one for my family, and one for the ward. I am still amazed at the amazing stuff we received. Everything is going to be so useful and we only received 1 duplicate item, which was awesome. While we got the essential items at Greg's family's shower, we got all the items we wanted to have at the other showers. We are definitely ready now. And after excruciating back labor in the middle of the night a few nights ago, my only problem with her coming any day now is that my doctor is out of town till Friday.

3 comments:

pfb360 said...

Oh man! Less than a week left! I'm excited for you two!

Anonymous said...

I am hoping for after Friday for you! Glad you've got everything essential ready, and Rajah's house looks great!

Kimberly said...

My kids are quiet and gentle! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...glad Rajah has a place to run and hide.